Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Good – None Beside

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

From Science and Health, pages 442 and 494) –

“When Christ changes a belief of sin or of sickness into a better belief, then belief melts into spiritual understanding, and sin, disease, and death disappear.”

“Our Master cast out devils (evils) and healed the sick. It should be said of his followers also, that they cast fear and all evil out of themselves and others and heal the sick. God will heal the sick through man, whenever man is governed by God. Truth casts out error now as surely as it did nineteen centuries ago. ”

“Gospel” means “good news.” We know from the first chapter of Genesis that God — which is another word for Good — created all things good. “Very good,” in fact. The only news that heaven reports is the Gospel, or news of the Good – omnipotent Good, omnipresent Good, omniscient Good, omni-active Good.

Thus, there is no room for laws and ordinances based on the bad-news-anti-Gospel creation story of Genesis 2 to come against Good or Good’s image and likeness. Furthermore, Good’s image and likeness is complete and complicit in this omnipotent Good, “which is the head all principality and power.” (Col. 2:10)

Relevant here is this excerpt from Mrs. Eddy’s letter to Eldridge and Melinda Smith in 1882. written from Washington, D.C.(archived in the Mary Baker Eddy Library):

The relation that Jesus sustains to the race is not primarily as a teacher but an inspirer of faith, understanding, immortal hopes and divine love. Now my dear students, catch those heavenly echoes and send them resounding along the dim corridors of time.

The highest cannot be put into words for words would limit what is infinite. There is a greater power than speech, the power of Being, yea, of Life. Speech is of man; Life, Spirit, is of God. Herein is the atonement, the power and science of Jesus was his divine Truth, that saved from sin, sickness and death. Now, my dear children, possess yourselves of this divine power, yea, of this Truth and you are saved — and you will save and heal others.

Be not afraid of the storms that beat against this rock. They can never overthrow the superstructures built thereon. The enemy is at work in Washington, and we have at last learned what the old dragon is and what he is not. He has not horns or hoofs, but he claims personality, for he is the error that says, “The ‘I’ is a personal intelligence instead of the impersonal Good. And thus, I can go to minds mortal and breathe into their thoughts lies, temptations, and fears — and win them over to error.”

But, dear ones, “Resist this devil and he will flee from you. Draw near unto God and He will draw near unto you.” A mental malpractice is this Satan unchained for a season. Watch that your house be not broken open. What I say unto you I say unto all: Watch.

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you! Such a wonderful quote from Mrs. Eddy to work with.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.