Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Growth by Subtraction

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Mind – February 24th, 2019 Growth by Subtraction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

Christian Science calculus teaches me that self-subtraction automatically activates the principle of multiplication of God’s benefits, blessings, and increase of God’s presence in my life. Christ-radiation intensifies to the degree to which self-absorption subsides.

At the beginning of his reign, Solomon grew by self-subtraction. And Solomon said….O Lord my God…I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. (1 Kings 3:6.).

But as time passed, Solomon grew in matter-mindedness, self-enlargement, moving in the very opposite direction of the footsteps of his youth.

In her unpublished 1887 sermon on Luke 14:30 — “This man began to build (Unfinished and Finished)”, Mrs. Eddy observes:

Solomon was a master builder materially but spiritually he was not able to finish with the gold of Ophir and the surpassing skill of art; his temple was unable to stand; his spiritual status was insufficient to draw a plan so elevated that its building is eternal in the heavens. His foundations were laid in sense, not science; his premises were false: he believed in evil and good; his faith in error was even greater than in Truth. He said “there is a time for all things, a time to love and a time to hate”. This theory had rotten foundations, and his materials were antagonistic to each other and self-destructive; hence he failed to finish his work and ended it by saying “all is vanity and vexation of spirit,” and “how can one know whether he be a wise man or a fool?”

Espaid
    Participant

I love this!

“Christian Science calculus teaches me that self-subtraction automatically activates the principle of multiplication of God’s benefits, blessings, and increase of God’s presence in my life. Christ-radiation intensifies to the degree in which self-absorption subsides.

At the beginning of his reign, Solomon grew by self-subtraction. And Solomon said….O Lord my God…I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. (1 Kings 3:6.).

But as time passed, Solomon grew in matter-mindedness, self-enlargement, moving in the very opposite direction of the footsteps of his youth.”

This morning I was reading the following from Christian Science Versus Pantheism, p 11: 16-19, and it seems to fit what happened to Solomon and what he needed to do:

“If man is spiritually fallen, it matters not what he believes; he is not upright, and must regain his native spiritual stature in order to be in proper shape, as certainly as the man who falls physically needs to rise again.”

Florence
    Participant

Thanks for these posts. This is what Mrs. Eddy teaches about self abnegation being a rule in Science……..

A little less of self, every day, does much in revealing my Christ selfhood, with the Christ mind. The Christ Mind cannot be mesmerized, helps me live unselfishly, and do good, without selfish ambition but to honor God and bless mankind.

This is the striving to be better, with diligence, perseverance and persistence in daily “dying to self.” All the gospels and Paul talk about this imperative step: John 12:24, Colossians 3:5, Luke 14:33, 1 Peter 4:22. Luke 9:24, Eph. 4:22-23.

John 3:30: He must increase, but I must decrease.
    Gal 5:24: And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    1 Cor. 15:31: I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Mrs. Eddy taught and explained self-abnegation so that we may resist the temptation of material-mindedness, know ourselves truly and find our God-given freedom. SH 266:16-19 Thus He teaches mortals to lay down their fleshliness and gain spirituality. This is done through self-abnegation. Universal Love is the divine way in Christian Science. And SH 568:30-32 Self-abnegation, by which we lay down all for Truth, or Christ, in our warfare against error, is a rule in Christian Science.

Doing this effects the death to all “the little foxes” as well as “the creeping things” and the false physical and emotional claims will have to yield to the supremacy of God/Spirit!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.