Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Hand on the plow

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62

This brought back the discussion a few weeks ago about the Judas thought, unhealed cherished beliefs, that would have us betray the Christ. Here this citation from our lesson is Jesus warning us of the thinking that would trip us up if not recognized and destroyed. This speaks to me of not being luke warm or half hearted, a Christian when it is convenient. I see the reason this work requires great discipline. I also know that it is easy to be devoted to what you love. I am grateful for all that is provided here to build our spiritual endurance and alertness because there many temptations that would seem urgent or attractive in this world. We are told to ask, where is this leading me? I am also grateful for the teaching here the gives you down to earth teaching that makes you better citizens in this world.

“He seemed to have worldly concerns more upon his heart than he ought to have, and he was willing to enter into a temptation leading him from his purpose of following Christ. No one can do any business in a proper manner, if he is attending to other things. Those who begin with the work of God, must resolve to go on, or they will make nothing of it. Looking back, leads to drawing back, and drawing back is to perdition.” Matthew Henry

“It is not actual return to the world, but a reluctance to break with it.” Jamieson

“…engages himself in the affairs of the world, sets his heart on them, and spends his time in them.” Gill

“…to be intent on his employment – not to be looking back with regret that he undertook it. He that enters on it must do it with his whole heart, He that comes still loving the world – still looking with regret on its pleasures, its wealth, and its honors – that has not “wholly” forsaken them as his portion…It is perilous to tamper with the world – to look at its pleasures or to seek its society. He that would enter heaven must come with a heart full of love to God; giving “all” into his hands,… He that is not willing to sacrifice “everything” for the cause of God, is really willing to sacrifice nothing.” Barnes Commentary

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.