Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Hand Washing.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

Last week I was so glad to find an article by Edward Kimball called “Fearlessly meet the Claim.”

He writes ‘If there is any resentment or hate in your heart, stay at home, pull down the blinds; don’t wash your hands, until you have cast it out.’

I love how this week’s lesson explains to me further what he meant by “don’t wash your hands..” as I was a bit puzzled by that.

In Matthew 15:2 the scribes and Pharisees asked Jesus “Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they wash not their hands when they eat bread.”

Jesus went on with explaining that “not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man: but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man….For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man.”

For me this says, don’t act like you are clean (clean hands) and holy on the outside when inside you are indulging in ungodliness in your heart. Wash the inside first. This is an ongoing lesson I am learning from this church, as I used to think it was ok to just act nice on the outside, when the inside is a mess. Thanks to the most dedicated Practitioners, and so grateful for the examples here at Plainfield including Edward Kimball.

Gary
    Participant

Thank you for this post. Kimball was giving the same rebuke as did Jesus to the state of thought that would be more concerned with surface appearance than to the things of God. Mrs. Eddy explains this well on page 382 of S&H:
    “If half the attention given to hygiene were given to the study of Christian Science and to the spiritualization of thought, this alone would usher in the millennium. Constant bathing and rubbing to alter the secretions or to remove the unhealthy exhalations from the cuticle receive a useful rebuke from Jesus’ precept, ‘Take no thought…for the body.’ We must beware of making clean merely the outside of the platter.”
    She then goes on to say, “He, who is ignorant of what is termed hygienic law, is more receptive of spiritual power and of faith in one God, than is the devotee of supposed hygienic law, who comes to teach the so-called ignorant one.”
    Here, Mrs. Eddy rebukes not only the washing of hands, but the study of hygiene rather than the study of Christian Science and the spiritualization of thought. Too many are proud of their secular education. Many others worship or admire those who have a PhD or a big house or a fancy car. Jesus, Mrs. Eddy, and Kimball are telling us that is not what matters. In fact, it will impede one’s true education in the right direction. So, don’t be impressed. And don’t waste time studying subjects that aren’t going to be useful in promoting Christ’s Christianity and the spiritualization of thought.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.