Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Hearts made ready

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“As aforetime, the spirit of the Christ, which taketh away the ceremonies and doctrines of men, is not accepted until the hearts of men are made ready for it.”

I see from this week’s lesson again the importance of uncovering and destroying sin. My heart is not ready for the Christ if I entertain thoughts of envy, pride, self will, etc.
    The qualities of thought of those who persecuted Christ. Those who allowed themselves to act on these unrepented impulses were self decieved in the worst way. This is what the wrong sense of religion does to man. Makes you believe you are in the right while you cherish hate in your heart. I am grateful to be here at Plainfield which has been stripping me of attitudes which separated me from Christ mind and are teaching me how to truly be self aware. The teachings here show how sin operates and how to destroy its seeming activity. This is the true Science of Christ. If it weren’t for them I most likely would continue to think I was serving God(human activity in guise of goodness) while not addressing hidden sin in the human mind.

I looked up the word ,envy, in several sources and found it interesting that it is malice, sense of lack and rivalry. It is considered a lack of gratitude. This opened my eyes to be more alert to this negative thinking because it may present as harmless “wishing”. Unless the mask is stripped away(the evil recognized)it can hide behind self justification and self pity.

“Let your prayer be daily: Reveal to me, O God, my secret faults, every error, every sin. Earnestly desire to know thyself, to have thy heart searched, to let thyself be humbled, and the man of God stand revealed. Never for one instant say, ‘Thank God, I am not as other men.’ There is no I. If you are a personality, you are as other men; but if you are the idea of God, there is but one I, God.” Prayer by Mary Baker Eddy the Blue Book p. 63

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by spencel.
    Susanne
    Participant

“My heart is not ready for the Christ if I entertain thoughts of envy, pride, self will, etc. The qualities of thought of those who persecuted Christ. Those who allowed themselves to act on these unrepented impulses were self deceived in the worst way. This is what the wrong sense of religion does to man. Makes you believe you are in the right while you cherish hate in your heart.”

Thank you for putting this so eloquently! Error is very sly… and tricky … so I must be on the alert to how I might get off track. This is very helpful.

Gary
    Participant

I think that is one of the great lessons of the Beatitudes which Jesus gave us. They show what is required for the preparation of the heart. Every one of them speaks to a quality of thought that is required in order to be ready to accept the spirit of the Christ.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit” is the state of thought that is tired of the materialistic and sensual beliefs, knows that it is lacking in spirituality, and really wants to grow spiritually. In order to gain holiness, you have to have a burning desire for it. If not, you’re kidding yourself. If the soil is still rocky or full of weeds, the seed will not grow.

“Blessed are the meek” is the state of thought that has seen the human intellect fail at every step and is willing to give up all personal ambition, pride, and selfishness to accept what God wants for it and is willing to obey God, even when he doesn’t understand the total plan. Mrs. Eddy refers to this in S&H as the human mind “yielding to the divine Mind.” Only then do we begin to see things clearly, to have intelligence and wisdom.

The list goes on, and covers every quality of thought that must be addressed in order to receive the spirit of the Christ. Enough to keep each of us very busy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.