Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Human expectations versus spiritual reality

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Everlasting Punishment – October 29th, 2017 Human expectations versus spiritual reality

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

3. John 8
    5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. …

Because of all I am learning here, it is becoming clearer how human expectations can make people blind to spiritual reality. Last week, the lesson had Martha initially unwilling to see past her expectation that Lazarus is dead now, but will rise in the last day. She even argued for it. This week, the scribes and Pharisees expected Jesus to give a yes or no answer to whether the woman should be stoned, apparently ready to give him grief either way.

Yet, in both cases, Jesus operated outside the bounds of those expectations. How was he able to do that?

Christian Science is showing me that this is not mere cleverness on the part of Jesus. Cleverness is intellectual, sometimes deceitful, and definitely the human mind at work. This is certainly not that. Instead, I feel this points back to the Beatitude which Jesus himself taught (and, very apparently, lived!): Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5: 3) As we went over during the September 23rd, 2017 Bible Study, to be poor in spirit is to be open to divine inspiration. It is not being so full of human theories or doctrine that we fail to listen to our spiritual sense.

Also, the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22,23), as we have discussed recently, ends with saying against such there is no law. Expressing Spirit, and all His fruits, allowed Jesus to be free of human laws and expectations, free of mortality, and free of everlasting punishment.

This shows me once again how Christian Science is truly in line with what Christ Jesus taught. What other form that claims to be Christian has that freedom from the law? All others, that I know of, end up sounding just like the scribes and Pharisees.

I am so grateful for how Christian Science shows us the way out of old theology, and onward to God’s spiritual reality. Thank you!

Susanne
    Participant

Amen, and thank you for your insights here!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.