Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"I make peace and create evil"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – March 5th, 2017 "I make peace and create evil"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Espaid
    Participant

From the lesson:
    In Isaiah we read: “I make peace, and create evil. I the Lord do all these things;”

This is where the spiritual understanding of the Scriptures is so important, and now that I am beginning to understand better this spiritual interpretation, it has opened my eyes to passages I used to gloss over because I wasn’t awake. How does the Lord create evil? If you read the Bible literally, that’s how it would be interpreted. And when I looked at the online Bible commentaries on this passage, they all explain the evil part as God’s punishment – old theology.

But Mrs. Eddy explains that “the prophet referred to divine law as stirring up the belief in evil to its utmost, when bringing it to the surface and reducing it to its common denominator, nothingness. The muddy river-bed must be stirred in order to purify the stream. In moral chemicalization, when the symptoms of evil, illusion, are aggravated, we may think in our ignorance that the Lord hath wrought an evil; but we ought to know that God’s law uncovers so-called sin and its effects, only that Truth may annihilate all sense of evil and all power to sin.”

It would be very depressing to believe that God created evil. No – God’s law uncovers the evil so it can be annihilated!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you. This reminds me of what Mrs. Eddy states on page 210 in Miscellaneous Writings: “Christian Science never healed a patient without proving with mathematical certainty that error, when found out, is two-thirds destroyed, and the remaining third kills itself. Do men whine over a nest of serpents, and post around it placards warning people not to stir up these reptiles because they have stings? Christ said, ‘They shall take up serpents;’ and, ‘Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves.’ The wisdom of a serpent is to hide itself. The wisdom of God as revealed in Christian Science, brings the serpent out of the hole, handles it, and takes away its sting.”!! These Truths understood and applied are so powerful. My false concept of Christian Science had me in a state of constant fear and cover-up – trying always to hide error and to pretend (hope) it didn’t really exist. It doesn’t exist! BUT any false belief must be forced out of hiding and faced and destroyed with the sword of Truth and so proven to be nothing. If you had 2 plus 2 equals 5 written on a black board you wouldn’t attempt to hide it somehow but you would erase it and replace it with the right and provable understanding that 2 plus 2 equals 4. This correct application of Christian Science has made all the difference!

Susanne
    Participant

I love this explanation of Mrs. Eddy that “God’s law uncovers so-called sin and its effects, only that Truth may annihilate all sense of evil and all power to sin.” It reminds me of the beautiful story of the leopard Diabolo who was renamed Spirit when his true nature was revealed through love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwHHMEDdT0

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.