Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

I will betroth thee

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sharon
    Participant

Hosea 2:19, 20
    …I will betroth thee unto me for ever: yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the Lord.

The word betroth in Webster 1928 dictionary means: To contract to any one, in order to a future marriage; to promise or pledge one to be the future spouse of another; to affiance.

To betroth is in these verses is said 3 times. I wondered why this word was used, but it is a promise from the Lord. We choose to accept being joined with the Lord. We are pledging our faith or fidelity. When we give our whole heart, as in a marriage, we receive the blessings.

Matthew Henry says: God’s making a covenant for them with the inferior creatures was a great favour; but it was nothing to this, that he took them into covenant with himself and engaged himself to do them good. The nature of this covenant; it is a marriage-covenant, founded in choice and love, and founding the nearest relation: I will betroth thee unto me; and again, and a third time, I will betroth thee. All that are sincerely devoted to God are betrothed to him; God gives them the most sacred and inviolable security imaginable that he will love them, protect them, and provide for them, that he will do the part of a husband to them, and that he will incline their hearts to join themselves to him and will graciously accept of them in so doing.

This is a promise of eternity. God will not forsake us or turn his back on us. This is the greatest love there can be.

chardelle

This is beautiful, thank you

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.