Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Idols

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

IDOL (Webster’s 1828)
    1. An image, form or representation, usually of a man or other animal, consecrated as an object of worship;

2. A person loved and honored to adoration.

3. Any thing on which we set our affections;

This week’s lesson citiations on idolatry inspired me to think about what am I consecrated to. I realized a continual focus on my personal self is a form of idol worship. We can be tempted to devote a lot of time thinking of ourselves and society encourages it. I was suddenly aware of how many of my thoughts when unchecked lead back to me- will, worries, ego, pride, over sensitiveness, etc. Even if it seems I am reacting to my environment it still boils down to how I filter these thoughts. I am grateful for all I am learning here that truly helps me think out from God, to be unselfed and gaining an understanding of my individuality as created by God.

Self (excerpts from Webster’s 1828)

1. …the individual subject to his own contemplation…

2. It also signifies personal interest, or love of private interest; selfishness.

“It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” Psalm 118:8

“Sacrifice self to bless one another, even as God has blessed you. Forget self in laboring for mankind; then will you woo the weary wanderer to your door, win the pilgrim and stranger to your church, and find access to the heart of humanity. ” MARY BAKER EDDY Misc. p. 155

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by spencel.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by spencel.
    Florence
    Participant

I understand now that humility is an imperative quality for all who live this Science, it is to acknowledge our oneness with God. We are not separate nor can we do anything on our own. And we certainly cannot heal without humility. This is where the First Commandment, if obeyed handles the thought of idols. There is NONE BESIDE ME, NOTHING OF ANY KIND. This I find very helpful when material sense testimony tries its assertion of false beliefs. THERE IS ONLY GOD!!

spencel
    Participant

Thank you Florence. Both your points on humility and God’s allness were helpful. This was a reminder for me to watch negative thoughts by obeying the First Commandment and humility puts the focus on God where it should be. (antidote to self centered thinking). Your comment today during Bible Study about humility being a form of repentance also resonated with me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.