Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

If . . . Then

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:31-32.)

As a stand-alone remark, is “the truth shall make you free” a truthful statement?

No.

It’s true only if:

1.) “If ye continue in my word…” Joshua 1:8 plainly explains it: “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” This means continuous thinking, speaking, acting upon the Word. Day and night.

2.) “Then are ye my disciples,” that is, you will become students. Learners absorbed in continuous study and devoted practice to achieve mastery of the subject of your study.

Then, and only then, “ye shall know the truth, and the truth [that which you have faithfully applied yourself to know] “shall make you free.”

Mrs. Eddy puts it in practical terms here, regarding her writings:

“True, it requires more study to understand and demonstrate what they teach than to learn the doctrine of theology, philosophy, or physics, because they contain and offer Science, with fixed Principle, given rule, and unmistakable proof.” (MW 366, No & Yes 118.)

Knowledge of the truth is a gradual process of achievement, line upon line, precept upon precept.

Patience, gentleness combined with unshakable commitment are essential to this achievement:

“It requires sacrifice, struggle, prayer, and watchfulness to understand and demonstrate what these volumes teach, because they involve divine Science, with fixed Principle, a given rule, and unmistakable proof. ” (No & Yes 33, emphasis added.)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.