Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

If we say, "I Want."

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Matter — September 20th, 2020 If we say, "I Want."

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

I am grateful that this church teaches is that our joy is in giving. If I am not joyful it may be because I am thinking of my “self” and my “wants.” I can always give, no matter if I am alone or in a crowd, by the way I am thinking. On Wednesday I didn’t give a testimony of thanks to God for all his blessings, and felt down afterwards, so I am glad to be aware of this, as often it seems everything will try to stop me from giving a testimony.

Under the articles section of this website, Bicknell Young has a great article called “If we say, “I want.”” In this article one of the many helpful ideas he gives is that “if there is anything you want, stop and think; that’s the reason you haven’t got it.”

This morning when I woke, the first thing that came to me was Hymn #3 from the Christian Science Hymnal. “A grateful heart a garden is.” It was a good way to start the day.

In years of reading CS organized Bible lessons, never once did I read of the story of Jezebel and Ahab. I was really glad for a new fresh lesson. It seems that Ahab was wealthy, but still wanted more. He became depressed over the fact that Naboth wouldn’t give him his vineyard. While Jezebel ended up causing the murder of Naboth, it was Ahab’s ingratitude and thoughts of “I want”, that instigated the whole situation. This is a good lesson for me to remember always to be grateful. God really has blessed us with so much good and to be in a state of “I want” never leads us to anything good.

I am really grateful for the Plainfield Bible Lessons, and all that I have started to learn from this church, and from the practitioners here. Thanks for a great lesson!

Hymn #3

A grateful heart a garden is,
    Where there is always room
    For every lovely, Godlike grace
    To come to perfect bloom.

A grateful heart a fortress is,
    A staunch and rugged tower,
    Where God’s omnipotence, revealed,
    Girds man with mighty power.

A grateful heart a temple is,
    A shrine so pure and white,
    Where angels of His presence keep
    Calm watch by day or night.

Grant then, dear Father-Mother, God,
    Whatever else befall,
    This largess of a grateful heart
    That loves and blesses all.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.