Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"in league with the stones…"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JoanneF
    Participant

“For thou shalt be in league with the stones of the field:…” (Job 5:23, cit. #2)

The root of the word “stone” is from “to stand.” So, to be in league (which is a flat stone inlaid in roads) with the stones, is to be joined with them, rooted and grounded, one with a foundation – immovable, solid, and secure. I cannot “dash my foot against a stone” as long as I am “in league” with this foundation (Christ Truth), I cannot be tripped up by error.

Later, the Lesson states: “therefore have I set my face like a flint,” – another flat stone, hard, immovable, irresolute, and used to strike fire (burning fervor, love for God).

In Luke (20:37-40) we read how when the Pharisees tried to silence the multitude’s praising of Jesus and his works, Jesus replied, “I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.” Lord, let me be like these stones.

gortkenn
    Participant

Thank you for your post Joanne. In Easton’s Bible Dictionary I found the following about the word flint very helpful; “In Isaiah 50:7 and Ezekiel 3:9 the expressions, where the word is used, means that the ‘Messiah would be firm and resolute amidst all contempt and scorn which he would meet; that he had made up his mind to endure it, and would not shrink from any kind or degree of suffering which would be necessary to accomplish the great work in which he was engaged.’”

BarbaraW
    Participant

The description above referring to the Messiah, though the challenges took different forms, could be used to describe what was required of Mrs. Eddy’s life work as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.