Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

In the Press Yet Not Of It

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christian Science — June 27th, 2021 In the Press Yet Not Of It

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

Mark Chapter 5 –

The plague-afflicted woman said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. And straightway … she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

The superhuman determination of the woman with the hemorrhage was the result of her superhuman decision to separate herself from everything and everyone separating her from her objective. Nothing could stop her, even the strict religious code demanding that any woman so afflicted should quarantine herself or face death.

Jesus was even more determined in his desire to be separate from sense: to achieve and remain in total Spirit-consciousness continually, “who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto Him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared.” (Hebrews 5)

Thus, Jesus was unaware of the press of the vast human swarms about him, yet he instantly perceived the touch that made virtue flow from him. Similarly today, among millions of professed followers, Christ is only aware of those whose craving for Spirit transcends “the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.”

“The healing of his seamless dress
    Is by our beds of pain;
    We touch him in life’s throng and press,
    And we are whole again.”
    (Mrs. Eddy quoting Whittier’s poem, “The Master”, in Pulpit and Press, 54)

“Christian Scientists must live under the constant pressure of the apostolic command to come out from the material world and be separate.”
    (Science & Health, 451)

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you for this post! It reminds me of Christ Jesus’ prayer to the Father, “I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.” (John 17:15) He was praying for his disciples and “…for them also which shall believe on me through their word;” (John 17:20) To see and to claim and to hold on to our Oneness with the Father, right where we are!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.