Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Infused by the Holy Spirit

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – August 7th, 2016 Infused by the Holy Spirit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

“There is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.” (Job 32) In the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary one of the definitions of “inspiration” is “the infusion of ideas into the mind by the Holy Spirit.” I have always loved this thought for if I ever feel struggling for fresh ideas in my work it is always good to remember I have an abundance of fresh ideas – I am infused with them by the Holy Spirit! When I think about this Truth for a few moments it enables me to go back to work refreshed and rejuvenated and yes, it always amazes me at the fresh new thoughts that come pouring forth. Sometimes it helps also to think about nature – no two snowflakes are ever the same, out of all the brilliant sunsets or sunrises that ever set or have ever risen, no two have been exactly the same. God’s creation is never boring or in a rut but always fresh and new, therefore as His reflection – our lives, our work can never be boring but radiate with the newness and freshness and the infinite variety expressed by God Himself!

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you so much for this post!

From the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary:
    Infuse
    1. To pour in, as a liquid.
    2. To instill, as principles or qualities.
    3. To introduce; …
    4. To inspire with; …

This got me thinking about Florence Roberts’ article “Meekness and Restoration,” where she wrote, “Meekness is a quality to attain if we are to be made whole! …the original meaning of the word is “liquid.” Thus the ability of all liquids to conform naturally and perfectly to the form they are poured into.”

The idea that God infuses us with the qualities and properties necessary to fill and fit the form we are poured into makes a lot of sense to me. That this process leaves us “refreshed and rejuvenated” to go about our work for God brought me to another word from the lesson: Quickened.

Ephesians 2 : 1 (to ,)
    1 And you hath he quickened,

Looking that up in the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary:
    Quicken
    1. Primarily, to make alive; to vivify; to revive or resuscitate, as from death or an inanimate state. Romans 4:17.
    2. To make alive in a spiritual sense; to communicate a principle of grace to.
    You hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins. Ephesians 2:1.
    3. To hasten; to accelerate; as, to quicken motion, speed or flight.
    4. To sharpen; to give keener perception to; to stimulate; to incite; as, to quicken the appetite or taste; to quicken desires.
    5. To revive; to cheer; to reinvigorate; to refresh by new supplies of comfort or grace. Psalms 119:25.

What a wonderful God we have, that supplies us with the ability to be useful, to be made whole, to be refreshed and rejuvenated, to be made “alive in a spiritual sense,” and to filled with joy and inspiration and every good quality so we fit the work He has given us. What a blessing it is to be here, learning to be receptive to God’s voice, and to be growing in Christian Science. Thank you!

chardelle

“And you hath he quickened,” jumped out at me this week. Thank you for this post. God does the quickening …. And I must do my part to be always aware with humility and meekness. I have been on my knees many times this week and this Lesson has been helping me. I want to pray in Spirit and in Truth, and I ask humbly for guidance as to how to do this. So, there it is in the Lesson from SH 393: Rise in the strength of Spirit to resist all that is unlike good. God has made man capable of this, and nothing can vitiate the ability and power divinely bestowed on man. Now revived we go forth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.