Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

It has been proven

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Sacrament – July 10th, 2016 It has been proven

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

4. Matthew 26
    36 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
    37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
    38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
    39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Before coming to Plainfield, I had read the Bible, but never with understanding, and certainly never with compassion. Now to be here, learning and working, and going through the trials that church work can bring, I can read this with a tiny bit of understanding of what he went through. I certainly don’t know the full extent, as I can see that successively higher demonstrations bring equally higher degrees of resistance, but for what I know right now, I can feel for him.

To know that to go higher in Christian Science brings more to work through would be a deterrent to me, if not for the fact that Jesus proved that it is certain that we will prevail! I need not wish or hope, it has been proven. I was feeling a bit of the Wednesday resistance this morning, but after reading this it went away. For so long I felt similarly that “My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death,” but that was when I had no Christian Science to lean upon. Now, if I am awake to it, there is always light and joy and so much to be grateful for, and in no small part that is because of what Christ Jesus endured and overcame.

I am grateful for this lesson, for his shining example, and grateful to be in a place where we can reach out to a world in need with what is real and true and proven to work. Thank you!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Beautifully stated. It is true we should be able to feel even in some small degree what our Master must have experienced. This is possible only as we are willing to walk in his footsteps and follow his example. “A great sacrifice of material things must precede this advanced spiritual understanding. The highest prayer is not one of faith merely; it is demonstration.” (S&H)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by MaryBeth.
    Fairlie
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughts, and much gratitude for this lesson about Jesus and his agony in the Garden. I am still trying to come to grips with it, to realize what he went through. And I am touched by his love when he finds Peter asleep, not speaking for himself, but for Peter, warning him: “Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

chardelle

Ah, yes, the flesh may be weak, but here at Plainfield we are taught and given the strength,hope ,help and direction that truly saves us and the world!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.