Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Jesus' Rebuke

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kerry
    Participant

The story of Jesus teaching in the Temple and a man with an unclean spirit, interrupting that teaching took on a fuller meaning for me this week, thanks to a commentary. I realized the rebuke for the disruption, but never thought to much about what the man was saying. Now I realize that the tempter was trying to get Jesus’ attention by disrupting and flattering him. Jesus’ response? He annihilated that spirit out of the man. It was swift. This is my lesson on following in his footsteps.

Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible
    “And Jesus rebuked him,…. Checking his insolence, despising his flattery, and refusing to receive a testimony from him; and which he wanted not, lest it should be thought he had a familiarity and confederacy with him:
    saying, hold thy peace; stop thy mouth, I need no such witness as thine, nor thy praises; I am not to be soothed by thy flattery, nor is my mouth to be stopped, or power restrained, by such methods: wherefore he adds,
    and come out of him: I will not let thee alone, thy encomiums of me shall not prevail upon me to leave thee in the quiet possession of the man; I will give a testimony of who I am, by the dispossessing of thee out of this man.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.