Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

John 21:15

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board John 21:15

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Weiss
    Participant

Thinking about this weeks lesson and trying to understand why Jesus asks Simon Peter 3 times if he loves him? Thanks for any insight.

JPalmer
    Participant

Peter seemed to need three repetitions so he would see the importance of some things.

Even after Jesus warned him (Matthew 26:34), it wasn’t until Peter denied the Christ three times (Matthew 26:74) that he saw this failing within himself.

Later, in Acts 10, Peter was given a vision in which is said:
    13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
    16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Also, it is worth noting, after the three denials of Christ, Peter must have felt himself a failure and no longer worthy to be a disciple because the angel in Mark 16 told “Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome” to “tell his disciples and Peter that [Christ Jesus] goeth before you into Galilee:”

To me, then, it feels like mercy in John 21 that Christ Jesus gets all three repetitions out of the way so that Peter had no doubt what the Christ was calling him to do.

Thank you!

David Weiss
    Participant

Thank you for the great explanation. What a great lesson. Now I have to ask myself how many times do I need to hear the truth spoken before it sinks in?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.