Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Jonathan and David

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Love – July 31st, 2016 Jonathan and David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

I don’t think I really ever was fully aware of the connection between Jonathan and David before this lesson. It is quite beautiful relationship. Jonathan could have seen David as a threat but instead becomes his protector, friend and supporter. Jonathan must have had some awareness and appreciation of who David was. I thought this part of the story was profound and touching. Jonathan did not let personal sense or familial ties keep him from doing what he could so that wrong did not rule the right.

“Jonathan, the son of Saul and natural heir to the throne,—about thirty-five years of age.

Jonathan loved David “as his own soul ” and this love was returned with fervor. This friendship and confidence of David saved his life from the king. So strong was the love between David and Jonathan that the prince took off his royal robes and gave them to David, together with his sword, his famous bow, (2 Sam. i. 22) and his princely girdle.” F.E.Mason 1889 Journal

spencel
    Participant

5. I Samuel 23 : 14 (to 1st ,), 16
    14 ” And David abode in the wilderness in strong holds,
    16 And Jonathan Saul’s son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.”
    As I am learning here, this was a significant part of this relationship. God in the middle. A true sense of fellowship and bond that sustains and supports.

Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible
    “And Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose,…. And came from Gibeah, which, according to Bunting (o), was twenty two miles from the place where David was:
    and went to David into the wood: having had intelligence where he was, this being a proper place to have an interview with him privately: and strengthened his hand in God; and his heart too, his hand of faith to lay hold on God, as his covenant God and lean and rely upon him; he strengthened him in his power and in his providence, and in his promises to him; the Targum is,”he strengthened him in the Word of the Lord;”not only in his word and promise, but in Christ the essential Word of God, who should spring from him according to the flesh.”

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by spencel.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.