Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Joy of the Lord = Strength = A Choice

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – September 3rd, 2017 Joy of the Lord = Strength = A Choice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

This weeks’ lesson focuses upon strength. The Bible makes it clear that “the joy of the Lord is thy strength,” (Neh. 8:10, literally: “delight in Jehovah is a strong refuge”) and David comfirms this in Psalm 27:6 – “And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.” In the Hebrew, “sacrifices of joy” literally means “sacrifices of shouts of joy.”
    Hebrews 13:15 – “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.”
    Psalm 107:22 – “And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare His works with rejoicing.”
    All these passages teach me that rejoicing in God is a choice, a decision to refuse to entertain thoughts of limitation helplessness, and failure in the face of difficult circumstances, no matter how much these thoughts are crying out fo.r attention. The “sacrifice of joy” (or of praise, thanksgiving) involves slaying and sacrificing — utterly immolating — the bullock of self-will that would bully me into focusing my attention on the difficult circumstances.
    As he was writing Psalm 27, David’s enemies were not far away from him, but “round about” him. Metaphysically speaking, “David’s enemies” are mortal mind’s thought-forms swirling all around me, forces of distraction tirelessly trying to turn my attention off the glory of God. But by “standing porter at the door of thought” (SH 392), inwardly shouting down and subduing mortal mind’s clamor, inviting and entertaining only thoughts of God’s glory within my consciousness — to establish their omnipresence there — God not only blesses my efforts, but transforms the difficult outward circumstances in ways I cannot possibly fathom.

Susanne
    Participant

“The “sacrifice of joy” (or of praise, thanksgiving) involves slaying and sacrificing — utterly immolating — the bullock of self-will that would bully me into focusing my attention on the difficult circumstances.”

This is so helpful–and reminds me of testimonies I’ve heard of healings that have resulted from the singing of hymns!

Linda Russell
    Participant

Thank you so much for this post Parthens!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.