Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Lay down our lives.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Love — February 2nd, 2020 Lay down our lives.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he (Jesus) laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.” I John 3 : 16

I am learning here at Plainfield Christian Science Independent Church that this true Christly love has no personal self in it. If I worry about what others think, try to make them happy, or avoid doing the righteous thing because I fear the consequences, then I am full of personal self with no room for God to work or His will to be done. I am grateful to be learning how to cultivate spiritual sense so that I can perceive the love of God and work to get personal self out of the way.

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you very much for this post!

That verse from the Responsive Reading, and the following one from John 15:13 (Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.) has given me a lot to think on this week. The greater love that Christ Jesus demonstrated certainly lasted longer than his final moment on the cross, but to human thought, laying down our lives is treated like a momentary thing. Yet how many decades did Mary Baker Eddy lay down her life for the world? How many in this church right now – and those who have come before – have laid down their lives in a similar manner?

The lesson includes Science and Health, page 454: Wait patiently for divine Love to move upon the waters of mortal mind, and form the perfect concept. Patience must “have her perfect work.” This reminded me of Mrs. Eddy’s words from page 248: We must form perfect models in thought and look at them continually, or we shall never carve them out in grand and noble lives.

It seems clear that the perfect concept or model is the one which has put aside all personal sense to patiently wait on God. Expressing that greater love is the work of a lifetime, not a moment. I am so grateful we have those models to look to, and for the importance placed here on living Christian Science.

I also found the Christ Jesus’ use of the word friends very comforting, and was happy to be led to the three verses (John 15:14-16) after the last line of the Responsive Reading:

Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.