Topic: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent" | Member Section

Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul and Body — May 24th, 2020 "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent"

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Florence 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

parthens
    Participant

Almost a century ago, Clara C. Hanson experienced a remarkable healing, aided by the “Soul & Body” Bible Lesson (CS Setinel, April, 1925) –

On the morning of November 16, 1914, [as I was seated at the breakfast table] a bullet of twenty-two caliber was accidentally shot from a rifle a few feet behind me, and entered my skull about two inches back of the left ear. I was lingering at the breakfast table with a friend who made her home with us at the time. Not knowing that a rifle was being handled, I first thought it was an electric shock. When my friend said that I had been shot, immediately there came to me the realization that God’s presence is all there is. I did not lose consciousness even for a moment, and this clear sense of God’s presence took away all fear. I was doing the work at that time of First Reader in our church. The lesson for the Wednesday evening testimony meeting the night previous had been on God’s deliverance of Daniel from the lions. I was indeed soon forced to prove the truth given out there…

I was the only Scientist in the home, and the others requested that a physician be called; but I said, “No, call a practitioner,” giving them the telephone number, and they did as I requested. Then I said, “Do not tell any one else.”

A boy in the family [who had been shaken by the experience was then asked to read from the Bible Lesson,] “Soul and Body,” and it seemed to be written especially for me. One verse from the Bible was, “Be silent, O all flesh, before the Lord.” Then came the definition of “flesh” from the Christian Science textbook, “Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures” by Mary Baker Eddy (p. 586): “An error of physical belief; a supposition that life, substance, and intelligence are in matter; an illusion; a belief that matter has sensation.” This section was read over several times, until the child’s thought was quieted and we knew that the flesh was no part of my true being, and that the spiritual, perfect man was unharmed.

After the child had gone to school I read the whole lesson through, then walked to the telephone and talked with the practitioner. There was no faintness, no pain,—only a dull feeling in the head and a slight ringing in the ears. I went upstairs to my room, where I could be quiet and free from observation. All through the day, one passage after another from the Bible and from Science and Health—messages from God—came to my thought to reassure and sustain me.

That evening…a member of the family … insisted upon calling a physician … and to satisfy the fears of the family, I consented. Upon examination, the physician said that the bullet had entered the skull and that he could not tell where it was lodged, but that if certain symptoms appeared, which he named, an operation would be necessary to remove the bullet. Though not called, he came the next evening to see how I was; but that was his last visit.

I am grateful indeed to say that the symptoms which the physician feared … did not appear.

The practitioner called my attention to page 100 of “Miscellaneous Writings,” where Mrs. Eddy says, “Who remembers that patience, forgiveness, abiding faith, and affection, are the symptoms by which our Father indicates the different stages of man’s recovery from sin and his entrance into Science?” Instead of watching for the physical symptoms, this helped me to remember to be patient and forgiving, to have faith and affection for all. The next Wednesday evening I was in my place at the Reader’s desk, and again on duty at the Thanksgiving service the following morning, with a heart filled to overflowing with gratitude to the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect gift,” who had wrought in me such marvelous healing….

For two or three weeks there was a slight ringing in the ears, but aside from that there has never been the slightest trouble. Many lessons were learned; confidence in the power of Truth was established; and the whole experience is remembered as one where love was expressed by all the family and by those connected with the experience.

One of the wonderful things about it was that it was kept so quiet that no one—not even the neighbors and intimate friends—knew anything about it; nor did any of the church people, until I gave my testimony one year later

Florence
    Participant

Thanks for your post. Beautiful and moving….Indeed this is what Love does.🤗🙏

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.