Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Like Produces Like

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

Genesis 6:5 – “God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” (Emphasis added)

Genesis 11: 4, 6 – And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth…..And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.” (Emphasis added)

“Like produces like.” This most basic scientific principle is the basis of all of Mrs. Eddy’s writings. And this is why she admonishes me to watch my thoughts and imagination: “The time for thinkers has come …. Let the perfect model be present in your thoughts instead of its demoralized opposite.” (SH vii and 407)

Any thought that I think long enough eventually becomes a belief. As I continue holding to this belief, it will surely gather more thoughts like unto itself, and that belief will eventually reproduce itself on a larger scale in my life experience whether it’s true or false, godly or ungodly.

“Fixing your gaze on the realities supernal, you will rise to the spiritual consciousness of being, even as the bird which has burst from the egg and preens its wings for a skyward flight.” (SH 261)

Whether it’s a whisper or a roar, it is better to dismiss the serpent’s suggestion at the outset than to allow it to grow into a paragraph, a chapter, or a book-length lie.

Webster, 1828, MODEL: “A pattern of something to be made; any thing of a particular form, shape or construction, intended for imitation; primarily, a small pattern; a form in miniature of something to be made on a larger scale…” (emphasis added).

Whether we like it or not, consciously or unconsciously, “[w]e are all sculptors, working at various forms, moulding and chiseling thought. What is the model before mortal mind? Is it imperfection, joy, sorrow, sin, suffering? Have you accepted the mortal model? Are you reproducing it? Then you are haunted in your work by vicious sculptors and hideous forms. Do you not hear from all mankind of the imperfect model? The world is holding it before your gaze continually. The result is that you are liable to follow those lower patterns, limit your life-work, and adopt into your experience the angular outline and deformity of matter models.” (SH 248, emphasis added)

Eventually, everyone must learn to fix his/her gaze upon that which is real and eternal.

“This more perfect idea, held constantly before the people’s mind, must have a benign and elevating influence upon the character of nations as well as individuals, and will lift man ultimately to the understanding that our ideals form our characters, that as a man ‘thinketh in his heart, so is he’ .” (Peo. 2:25–3). Our Founding Fathers fixed their gaze upon “the more perfect idea” — and this is why we must watch and pray for our country’s leaders and the mass media that they may “hold constantly before the people’s mind” the perfect model of a free nation — a nation governed by the Spirit of God, for “where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Cor. 3:17)

Rae
    Participant

Thank you for this powerful post.

Recently, I came across this passage again that has helped me to stay vigilant for Truth in the midst of temptation to believe otherwise.

“Think of this dear reader, for it will lift the sackcloth from your eyes, and you will behold the soft winged dove descending upon you. The very circumstance, which your suffering sense deems wrathful and afflictive, Love can make an angel entertained unawares. (S&H 574:25-30)

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you very much for this thought-provoking post! Much appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.