Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Love comes through obedience to God.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul and Body — May 23rd, 2021 Love comes through obedience to God.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.” Proverbs 15 : 32

There seems to be so much written about how to “love yourself.” In my search for how to love myself – most of what I came across before coming here did not bring me closer to understanding God or my relationship with Him or an answer of peace. The line above really struck me as an answer. It really is saying, “He that accepts instruction loves his own soul.” This means to me that a healing spiritual sense of love is connected to living in obedience to God’s precepts. I am learning at Plainfield that any form of pride is my enemy whether a sense of superiority or inferiority. I am grateful for clear teachings here showing that obedience is more that following a set of rules such as the pharisees managed but instead as Paul says, “Put off the old man.”
    The last line 33 in this Proverb says, “The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.”
    Mrs. Eddy was recorded as saying, “Self-depreciation is not humility but the meanest kind of pride because it admits a sense of self apart from God.” From Course in Divinity and General Collectanea, (the Blue Book)

JoanneF
    Participant

Thank you, Linda, very true. It took me a long time to finally learn that the only spiritual growth comes from humbly accepting instruction and correction. Thank God for this church and its teaching.

Murad A
    Participant

Yes, I also resonated with this citation “He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.” Proverbs 15 : 32. I’ve been thinking about it and your added comments and references are very helpful. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.