Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Made all things for Himself

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

“The LORD hath made all things for Himself.” (Proverbs) All things have been created by our heavenly Father to express and glorify Him – and that means you! When we come to understand this basic Truth about ourselves and about others and when we live in accord with it – our lives become rich with meaning. We will have a peace and a joy never known before. Are you living your life as God’s expression or are you trying to work things out with human plans and reasoning – spinning in an orbit of self? The latter way will prove to be very futile. In Science and Health, we read, “God fashions all things, after His own likeness. Life is reflected in existence, Truth in truthfulness, God in goodness, which impart their own peace and permanence.” How wonderful that we, and all things, are fashioned in God’s own likeness! That is the Truth of being. Don’t accept anything less.

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you for this post! This reply is just me working this out.

I know before coming to Plainfield, I would have read “The LORD hath made all things for Himself” and thought it was a selfish thing. Learning here the impersonal nature of God, and also that He constitutes all of reality, I can see now that there was no one else for Him to make anything for. Also, the fact that God made it show how unselfish He is!

From this new understanding, it is easy to see why I should look to Him alone for guidance: What else can help me live rightly? Certainly not my own limited understanding (I already proved what a disaster that is!). Only God has the perspective and the right to guide all of us, as we are all His ideas, expressing Him, in His creation. It gives me great joy to know that I don’t need to work out the variables and the pros and cons of each imagined possibility, because God is the only determiner of what is truly possible, and in Him there “is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (James 1: 17)

Therefore, since God is all (All-in-all), and God is impersonal, then the only way for me to live unselfishly is to express Him as He directs. Go where He has me go; do as He has me do; say what He has me say; work on the projects He has me work on, etc. (Also, to do it all with joy and gratitude, because even the difficult tasks end up a great blessing!)

Since God made all for Himself, then each of God’s ideas the world over are already worthy of Love, Truth, Life, goodness, and perfection. To think otherwise is to say that God’s work is flawed! This helps me see that much more why Christ Jesus had such compassion on all who seemed set upon by error, while having no patience for the error itself. As Mary wrote, he certainly didn’t “accept anything less” than God’s goodness and perfection.

And there is no reason I should either.

What a blessing this church has been, and continues to be! Thank you!

Gary
    Participant

“then the only way for me to live unselfishly is to express Him as He directs”

The great thing about this is that this is not a moral directive from a church or a human opinion. It is just the way things are. It is the way this incredible Creator made everything. Therefore, it is the only satisfying way to live, the only profitable, harmonious way to live. The liar will try to lure us into thinking that we could actually be happy being selfish or by pandering to the senses, but that is the trap that we are warned about. Thank you for sharing your “working this out.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.