Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Missing The Greater Good

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Substance — March 15th, 2020 Missing The Greater Good

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

John 6:26. verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me. not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

From Spurgeon’s commentary on that verse:You are loafers — loaf-hunters. You seek not me, but mine. It is not for the good that can give your souls, but it is that you may have another meal, that you are here. Yours is cupboard love. You come after what you can get.{Emphasis added}

This comment made me think of so many who have used Science only for material gain, comfort in body but missed the greater understanding to help themselves and be able to help others. Many do say I have been a Scientist all my life, I have had many healings and are perturbed and disappointed that a particular challenge appears not to yield. Spurgeon’s term “cupboard love” is appropriate here; since such are those who leave after being fed(healed) without a thought about striving to satisfy one’s soul, so that the understanding to enable one to bless another may be gained. Mrs. Eddy also says that we can all do more…we are blessed in more ways than one when we seek to share what Christian Science gives us. May we all do more and know that God does help each one to do more if we ask.

A selfish approach to this selfless mission leaves us missing the greater good. As Mrs. Eddy instructs, our rock of salvation and reason for existing should be, “to be able to impart truth, health and happiness.” My. 165

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.