Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Must Handle Mesmerism!

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

Sharing this pertinent excerpt from Tokens of Divine Love, a 1915 article which shows how significant this Lesson is for our journey from “sense to Soul.”

The sermon, “Ancient and Modern Necromancy, alias Mesmerism and Hypnotism, Denounced,” is the only one in the series which has as its specific object the exposure of error,—its subtlety, its powerlessness, and its utter nothingness. Some Christian Scientists labor under the mistaken
    impression that they do not like this sermon, yet we all should realize that its teachings are very vital, else it would not have been given us. Its importance may be discerned to some extent if we will but remember that Mrs. Eddy was not able to publish the first edition of Science and Health until she had prepared the chapter on Animal Magnetism, as we read in “Retrospection and Introspection” (pp. 37, 38). On page 64 of this same work Mrs. Eddy states, “It is scientific to abide in conscious harmony, in health-giving, deathless Truth and Love,” but she immediately points out that “to do this, mortals must first open their eyes to all the illusive forms, methods, and subtlety of error, in order that the illusion, error, may be destroyed;” adding the significant warning, “if this is not done, mortals will become the victims of error.” This sermon exposes error and its “illusive forms, methods, and subtlety,” to the end that error may be destroyed, its nothingness made plain to us, and we saved from becoming its victims. by LUMAN A. FIELD

Susan
    Participant

Dear Florence,

Thank you for this post. I have been listening to 4 round tables from 2015 on the subject of animal magnetism. This subject tends to be avoided, in my experience, by “Christian Scientists” because they don’t understand it or know what it is, and it has become superstitious and something frightening. I had shared an article on the subject by Anne Beals with a friend and she is hesistant and said “Sometimes when one reads about animal magnetism they become under mental attack.” This is exactly what error wants, to be left alone.

This quote you shared I will share with her and it has helped me greatly as we cannot ignore the “claims” of animal magnetism and brush them to the side.

I am very grateful for all that is shared in this church as it is really helping me to understand things that before were mysterious and scary. The round tables from 2015 were extremely eye opening.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.