Topic: Never despair an honest heart | Member Section

Welcome to the lesson forum page. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in. If it is your first time on the new website, please click "Lost Password" and then add the username or email you had on the former website. It will send a reset code to your email and you will be on quickly. Thank you!

Never despair an honest heart

We gladly welcome your comments on our Forum and Bulletin Board but we do maintain the right to edit and/or take down anything we feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – March 5th, 2017 Never despair an honest heart

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susanne 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bruce
    Participant

In Science and Health is the statement “We never need to despair of an honest heart;”. There is a lot that can be said about an honest heart, but the inclination to just tell the truth is a basic starting point. I can recall requiring to tell the truth when it did not reflect favorably on something I had done. But I still recall the liberating feeling when I got it clear in my mind that I would tell the truth, just for the sake of truth, and regardless of how it reflected on me or anyone else. And, when I did, it opened the way to forgiveness, so there was nothing to fear or despair about being truthful. It sheds some light on Jesus’ statement “the truth shall make you free.” The preservation of integrity of character preserves your manhood. It takes a man (and this can be male or female) to hold the ground for right, regardless of the direction the winds of personal preference are blowing.

Florence
    Participant

Beautifully said! Thank you.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this post, which brings it right around again to Mrs. Eddy’s statement “Honesty is spiritual power. Dishonesty is human weakness, which forfeits divine help.” There is the idea out there that telling lies can somehow be gainfully manipulative to get things to go one’s way. Phooey to that! And yet this is a common, everyday occurrence of being in the wrong mind, consumed by material thinking. It may work for a while, but it always catches up with you (“…there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed”-Matt. 10). Been there, done that!

I am now daily encouraged by “Honesty is spiritual power.” Somehow I missed that statement until recently, and it’s probably because I wasn’t exactly living totally honestly with myself, God or my Science, before coming to Plainfield.

Now it’s become a linchpin of my daily existence, and when I share this statement with others, always quoting Mary Baker Eddy, people are immediately touched by this truth. Because it takes courage to stand up for the truth, to listen to that small voice that says, speak up! “Honesty is spiritual power…” is an encouragement to do the right thing, and who in their right mind would want to forfeit divine help?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.