Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

no graven images

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bruce
    Participant

The commandment on no graven images reminds me why we have no distracting things in the church. There is no substitute for God, so why would there be any figures or symbols when there is an indissoluble between God and His man. This commandment has also helped me when there is something on my mind that seems that I can’t stop thinking about it. The truth in this commandment releases from the notion that something can be engraven in my mind and won’t let go. This is the commandment of liberation.

Heidi
    Participant

Thank You for your post Bruce, it is very helpful to me. I never thought of “obsessive thinking” as a graven image or being “engraved in one’s mind. Now I recognize it as putting something else before the One God, dangerous and sinful! Thank you again.

Florence
    Participant

It is wonderful that we are reminded of this caution in many ways during our Bible studies and Roundtable sessions. Unless we gain the discipline of “catching” all negative thoughts as FALSE SUGGESTIONS there is the tendency for their repetition and rehearsals in our thinking. Pretty soon a picture of sin, disease or the discord is formed which becomes part of our imagination and thinking. That is when the error becomes master in our home (consciousness) and requires much more effort to uproot it. Obedience to these commands saves us all the time.

jacob45
    Participant

Obsessive thinking about a problem which needs healing is counterproductive too.

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you!

In the mid-90’s I worked construction for a time around Boston. There were parts of that job I loved, but one part that was not good was the tendency of all the guys to talk about truly awful things. At first it really disturbed me, but then I realized I could “catch” the words coming in and decide whether I wanted to picture it or just let them go. What a wonderful change this brought, and only all these years later do I see that it was God looking out for me then, and also preparing me to be able to understand now Mrs. Eddy words, “Stand porter at the door of thought.” (S&H, p. 392)

In computer programming, whenever there is a place for people to enter text, there is a need to “sanitize” that input so that no malicious code can be entered. Failure to do so could take whole websites down or even ruin the computers they reside on. A synonym of “sanitize” is “purify” which, to me, seems like a really good way to think about intercepting these malicious messages, as this purification process destroys the problem before it can even do anything.

I am so grateful for Christian Science, but also grateful that God has been with me my whole life, showing me what I need and proving constantly that He is Love. I can see now that I was brought so low because I failed to purify those false suggestions, and what is worse, God had already given me tools to do it! Yet another reason to be grateful for God’s mercy, and for the support and teaching that is offered at this church! Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.