Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

No Shortcuts …….

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

There are no shortcuts to the needed purification that allows us to be the reflections of the one infinite God. Wonderful that the probationary period is “By patient continuance in well doing. Romans 2:7.” “To spurn the wrong and choose the better part” in order to become more Christlike and be the reflection. This requires leaving the past lies, constantly turning from the material sense stories and pictures to humbly obey what God is saying.

Day by day we can do better as we strive to gain our desire of being what God is saying about each of us.Thank God Christ Jesus lived the example and Mrs. Eddy has explained how we are to work in this time. The three Degrees in SH pgs. 115 and 116 are worth re-visting, as the stages show the translation from moral depravity (mental disorder) to the qualities of humanity, honesty, affection, compassion, hope, faith, meekness, temperance and onto the third phase of understanding, “where we lay hold on spiritual values of wisdom, purity, spiritual understanding, spiritual power, love, health, holiness.”

It is good to know that this “progression and probation” goes on now continually and not just after death.

chardelle

Thank you! While thinking about -No shortcuts- for our “progression and probations” I noticed –I Corinthians 58: Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
    We never are working in vain or fruitless endeavors when truly working for the Lord. I never understood what real work was for the Lord until coming to Plainfield. I found a place where everything and everyone puts God first. No shortcuts. This is true reflection as mentioned above which brings joy and peace even while striving and working toward the third phase of understanding.

Susanne
    Participant

“We never are working in vain or fruitless endeavors when truly working for the Lord. I never understood what real work was for the Lord until coming to Plainfield. I found a place where everything and everyone puts God first. No shortcuts.”

AMEN! Thank goodness the teachings here taught me about the importance of obedience. Wow, it was a new concept for me as a lifelong (obviously non-practicing) student of Christian Science. I had always wanted “shortcuts”… that is absolutely no longer the case. Bring on the needed purification, no matter how long it takes!

Betty S
    Participant

Thank you for these posts! They reminded me that it is important to be persistent, faithful, and joyful in this work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.