Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Not In A Single Bound

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

SH 76-77 The recognition of Spirit and of infinity comes not suddenly here or hereafter. The pious Polycarp said: “I cannot turn at once from good to evil.” Neither do other mortals accomplish the change from error to truth at a single bound.
    Existence continues to be a belief of corporeal sense until the Science of being is reached.

I love what Mrs. Eddy says about patience in SH pg 515:4-5 Patience is symbolized by the tireless worm, creeping over lofty summits, persevering in its intent.
    What a vivid picture of unswervingly, keeping its eye on the goal, and humbly treading the path with the determination to get there! I have learned a deeper understanding of patience through Christian Science and the many trials that seemed as if they would never yield.Those trials helped me gain a deeper love for Truth and a greater faith in God.

Because the opposite, impatience is false, when uncovered, we must see it for what it is, a lie about God’s idea and work to replace it with what is of God, patience. Impatience is described as a deadly sin in Ann Beals’ book “The Law of Love.” pg 30:

Impatience: This false trait usually comes from thwarted self-will that is intolerant of delay, opposition, or obstacles to what it wants or expects of others. Impatience can go from irritation to anger to rage over having to wait for any reason.It puts pressure on (ourselves) and others by being aggressive, restless, agitated, ill-tempered with them. An impatient mentality is often impetuous or impulsive. This trait is seldom classified as sin, and yet it is a deadly sin. Habitual impatience can lead to difficult, stubborn, even seemingly incurable physical problems.

MaryBeth
    Participant

What an astute definition of “impatience” – thanks very much!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.