Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Obedience to Truth

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Obedience to Truth gives man power and strength. Submission to error superinduces loss of power.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy p.184

We have been discussing a lot the last few weeks about that power which comes from God and obeying Him and challenging anything that would take us down the road of negative victim thinking, a loss of power. Gideon did not roll up in a ball of hopelessness when faced by the terror of the invaders but responded to God’s call to overthrow the idol of Baal in his camp and face the enemy under God’s direction. We are warned at length about the downfall of blame and victim thinking and the importance of not forgetting the moral and spiritual law. This week’s Lesson covers obedience to moral and spiritual law which gives strength, healing and a way out. Mrs. Eddy tells us if we submit to error we lose power. This is exactly what I am doing when I blame and feel the victim. It can be very hard to break the mesmerism of this negative thinking but thanks to Christ Jesus, Mrs. Eddy, and this church we have practical strategies.

The moral law tells me to follow the First Commandment. I can catch myself starting to blame instead of entering the negative zone I can ask myself, “Do I want to stay stuck?” “What or who am I giving power/control over me that is not God?” “What am I excusing?” “Where am I placing my happiness?” I can attack victim thinking with specific Truths. I can be proactive and make choices. Talk with God. Memorize scripture, lines from Mrs. Eddy’s writings. Be grateful. Do work for God. Ask God, “What do I need to do here?” This is just a small list of things that we have been given to do.

parthens
    Participant

The early part of the Book of Isaiah makes vivid the curses that befall God’s people for the sin of idolatry. The latter part of Isaiah makes equally vivid the blessings that overtake God’s people as a natural result of destroying their idols and returning to God. These blessings and cursings are mentioned throughout the law of Moses, most especially Deuteronomy 28.

“I have . . . saved . . . when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God” (Isaiah 43:12).

This is why the reforms of Gideon and Hezekiah parallel each other. as do the great victories following those reforms.

The inside enemy must be dealt with first; this being done, victory over any outside enemy becomes a very simple matter, indeed.

“The idols of civilization are far more fatal to health and longevity than are the idols of barbarism” (SH 173:30-31).

Just one example of such idolatry: opioid use has become so widespread that these substances are now polluting municipal water supplies of major American cities. Prenatal exposure to opioids has resulted in babies addicted at birth.

“If God created drugs good, they cannot be harmful; if He could create them otherwise, then they are bad and unfit for man; and if He created drugs for healing the sick, why did not Jesus employ them and recommend them for that purpose?” (MW 25:27-31.)

See also: http://www.ourcivilisation.com/medicine/usamed/deaths.htm – a record that should keep us awake and watchful until this idol of today’s uncivilized civilization is cast down from its high place and destroyed forever!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.