Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"one in quality, not in quantity"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Doctrine of Atonement – October 20th, 2019 "one in quality, not in quantity"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rae
    Participant

Thank you for another inspiring Bible lesson, and for all the wonderful teaching posts. In the book, We Knew Mary Baker Eddy, Second Series, (Chapter: The Call to Concord testimony by George Wendell Adams), I enjoyed reading about Mrs. Eddy teaching a class in which she devoted much time to impress upon her students that “there is but one God; and consequently, but one full reflection,–the compound idea, man. She indicated that only as her students grasp the fundamental fact that one God could have but one full reflection, did they have the basic sense of Christian Science and the scientific starting point.”

Mr. Adams goes on to say: “This instruction in no way conflicted with Mrs. Eddy’s teaching as given in her textbook relative to individual man and ideas. Here she states in effect that Jesus’ declaration, “I and my Father are one,” means “one in quality, not in quantity” (S&H, p.361) She further amplifies this in these words: “There is but one creator and one creation. This creation consists of the unfolding of spiritual ideas and their identities, which are embraced in the infinite Mind and forever reflected. These ideas range from the infinitesimal to infinity, and the highest ideas are the sons and daughters of God” (S&H, pp.502, 503)

As her wonderful teaching on this subject unfolded to us with crystal clarity, we realized more fully than ever before that: “God is indivisible. A portion of God could not enter man; neither could God’s fulness be reflected by a single man, else God would be manifestly finite, lose the deific character, and become less than God. Allness is the measure of the infinite, and nothing less can express God.” (S&H, p.336) Nothing that Mrs. Eddy said would limit individual man from fully expressing God’s qualities and the individual god-given ability to comprehend all that is real.”

So thankful for the testimonies of those who knew Mrs. Eddy. The idea of “one in quality, not in quantity,” made a deep impression on me. I had not taken time to reflect on oneness as a state of quality. Hard to explain the shift in consciousness that came from reading that simple truth; a sweet peacefulness swept over me, and it returned to my mind whenever I woke up during the night. “One in quality.” Indivisible, regardless of what my five senses try to report about the derisiveness of this world of perception. God is Love. Amen.

Thank you!

Rae
    Participant

Whoops..I meant divisiveness in the last sentence…not derisiveness. 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.