Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Ooops, Did I Make My Body An Idol ?

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Matter – September 22nd, 2019 Ooops, Did I Make My Body An Idol ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

How much are the thoughts about my body occupying my thinking everyday? Does my body not get enough time while I get ready for the day? Should I spend anymore time dwelling on every wrinkle, every pound I gain, every pimple, every ache or pain?

Idol. Webster 1828 4. Any thing on which we set our affections; that to which we indulge an excessive and sinful attachment. Little children, keep yourselves from idols. 1 John 5:1. An idol is any thing which usurps the place of God in the hearts of his rational creatures. Emphasis added.

I have learned we have more idols than one would believe; examples are our bodies, personalities, habitual thoughts that consume us, desired ambitions that occupy our thoughts, other’s faults that dominate us, false beliefs that we allow to discourage, belittle, frustrate, anger us or conduct our lives other than the love of God. And are any of these worth it? No!! Thus we should heed 1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

We have been given a away out of being idolaters: That is to get the correct view of your immortal self-hood, to see that you are an embodiment of right ideas, spiritual, made perfect in the image and likeness of God! Preoccupying thought with this would help us be present with the Lord and absent from the material sense of body.

JoanneF
    Participant

Wonderful, Florence! Thank you.
    And also, “Matter…in which paganism and LUST are so sanctioned by society that mankind has caught their moral contagion.”
    Webster defines “lust” as carnal (fleshly) appetite or desire; depraved affections and desires.
    Am I “lusting” for food, fashion, physique, or a glamorous enhancement of my body or home? These are all “sanctioned by society” and so easy to get caught up in, unless I constantly strive to “see that you are an embodiment of right ideas, spiritual, made perfect in the image and likeness of God!” Such a helpful Lesson-Sermon to remind me what’s really important.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.