Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Outward Signs.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

Thank you so much for the lesson, and for all the articles this church freely gives.

I really enjoyed the article “Christian Science and Christian Character.” by Blanche Hersey Hogue.

It works well with this week’s lesson in that Sacrament is often outward symbolism to give a sign of your commitment to God, in a ceremony, penance, or such. This does not always come with the inward desire, that can only be given in secret. “The Bible says The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”

Blanche Hersey Hogue – “The true Christian life is the way of sacrifice, but God only requires the sacrifice of false, limited, ungodlike thinking and actions. Then after this sacrifice, we find greater freedom and blessings. This joy is known only to the heart which obeys, and brings a peace which the world cannot give or take away. What the world gives, it does take away; but because this joy is not given by the world, the world cannot take it away.”

These ideas are most helpful. We only have to sacrifice things that hurt us. I am grateful to be slowly getting this (I hope). Also if we don’t know how to give up things that we know are not right, the knowing they are not of God can help us to hand them over. He helps us with this because He knows our heart. “Man’s extremity is God’s Opportunity”

Very grateful to have found Plainfield Independent Church.

AMB
    Participant

Thank you very much for the above post, Susan. I have found in Charles Spurgeon’s writings that he explains ‘a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart’ as a person in whom –
    – all idea of self importance is gone,
    – frivolity and trifling have gone – a broken spirit is serious, solemn and in earnest,
    – hypocrisy is gone,
    – our relationship with God is genuine and not superficial.
    This chimes with the above post, that our sacrifices must be of ungodlike thinking and acting. I am so grateful to be learning this, and improving my understanding of the teachings of the Bible, through finding Plainfield. Much gratitude to the writer of this week’s lesson.

Susan
    Participant

AMB thank you so much for those points from Charles Spurgeon! And Mrs. Eddy says it’s either ‘suffering or Science’. Some of us take longer than others it seems, or have to go through suffering before the desire is there for God. I also am so grateful for Plainfield Independent.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.