Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Panteth my soul after thee.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul — August 16th, 2020 Panteth my soul after thee.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.” Psalm 42

“There is something to be lamented in this state of mind, for if the psalmist had maintained unbroken communion with his God, he would not have been so much panting after him as enjoying him. … Wherefore do we wander? Why do we grieve his Holy Spirit? Why do we turn aside from God, our exceeding joy? Wherefore do we provoke him to jealousy, and cause him to make us grope in darkness, and sigh out of a lonely and desolate heart? There is much of an evil heart of unbelief in these departings from the living God; … it is an equally certain sign of a want of more grace, and the loss of a privilege which we should strive always to possess. … At the same time there is very much which is commendable in the desire expressed in the text; the insatiable desire which burned in the psalmist’s heart is a heavenly flame enkindled from above. If I have not my Lord in near and dear communion, it is at least the next best thing to be unutterably wretched until I find him. … blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness. … so long as I am not contented without him, so long as I sigh, and cry, and follow hard after him, I may be assured that I am in the possession of his love, and that ere long I shall find him to the joy of my soul. … Brother, … search and look, and pray the great Spirit to remove the ill and nourish the good.” Charles Spurgeon

This spoke to me of the beginning of our last Roundtable when we discussed Watch 351 which included this instruction from Mrs. Eddy, “If the fire burns low (devotion to Christian Science) or appears to be getting extinguished, replenish it with faith and love.” I am deeply grateful for all that is available at this church to help us keep the fire burning.

chardelle

Thank you for this wonderful post. It has brought to mind the Beatitude, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” Also from a song where it says,” Shine Jesus shine; set our hearts on fire.”.. yes indeed, here at the Plainfield CS Church, Independent the “fires” of Love are kept burning and that is why so many come to the website, classes and services!

chardelle

Thank you for this wonderful post. It has brought to mind the Beatitude, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” Also from a song where it says,” Shine Jesus shine; set our hearts on fire.”.. yes indeed, here at the Plainfield CS Church, Independent the “fires” of Love are kept burning and that is why so many come to the website, classes and services!

KarenM
    Participant

Thank you so much for your post. Hymn 105 says, second verse,
    “Help us to build each other up,
    Our little stock improve;
    “Increase our faith, confirm our hope,
    And perfect us in love.”
    i am so grateful for the provision that this church’s website provides for members to share their inspiration of the weekly lesson in this way. I have found sharing as much a benefit to me as what is shared. Thank you to everyone who participates, and to the lesson writers for their inspired lessons.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.