Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

“Pleasant View in Winter”

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board “Pleasant View in Winter”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kerry
    Participant

My readings took me to the Poems of Grace White, a Christian Scientist, who lived in New York. She wrote a Poem for each season and I wanted to share what she wrote about “Pleasant View in Winter” (Pleasant View being Mrs. Eddy’s home in Concord, New Hampshire)

POEM FEBRUARY 24, 1906 ISSUE

“Pleasant View in Winter”
    GRACE WHITE.

“On bush and tree and bare brown earth
    The glistening snow the wind is heaping,
    And far beyond the sloping hills
    The lengthening shadows now are creeping.
    From out the garden’s frosty beds
    No flower faces now are peeping.
    Beneath its shining icy covers
    The little pond is soundly sleeping.”

Kerry
    Participant

Grace White wrote four poems, one for each season, from the perspective of life at Pleasant View. Since there is no history that has surfaced about her connection with Pleasant View, I have to think that she traveled there with the purpose of recording the seasons, as they would have been witnessed by those, who called Pleasant View their home, in order to share with those who read the Journal.

POEM MAY 6, 1905 ISSUE
    [Written for the Sentinel.]
    Pleasant View in Spring

GRACE WHITE.

Broad meadows clothed with tenderest green,
    And patient trees their leaves just showing.
    The little ice-bound pond awake,
    All sun-kissed ripples from soft breezes blowing.
    From distant tree-tops gaily ringing
    The song of homing birds is flowing;
    While high above in sunny skies
    Are stately full-rigged cloud-ships going.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.