Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

plunge

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“If men understood their real spiritual source to be all blessedness, they would struggle for recourse to the spiritual and be at peace; but the deeper the error into which mortal mind is plunged, the more intense the opposition to spirituality, till error yields to Truth.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy

Mrs. Wilcox writes in her book that we must handle material resistance to Truth within our own consciousness. So no matter what seems to be going on outside of us we are responsible for how we think about it. The word “plunged” in the above citations from our lesson this week caught my attention.

In Webster’s 1828 edition it says:
    PLUNGE:
    1. to immerse in a fluid;

2. To thrust or drive into any state in which the thing is considered as enveloped or surrounded;

PLUNGE

1. To rush into distress or any state or circumstances in which the person or thing is enveloped, inclosed or overwhelmed;

2. throw one’s self headlong.

1. a state of being surrounded or overwhelmed with difficulties.

[In this sense, the word is now little used.]

As soon as I saw this I could see that every time I am drawn into anything unlike God, good I am plunging myself into error and therefore am putting energy into opposition to the Truth. The deeper I go into this mesmerism the more work I am making for myself. This is the time to yield to Truth, (handle material resistance to error) and affirm God’s ever present perfect control and government of His creation which He saw and “behold, it was very good.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.