Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Positive expectation

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant

This lesson is full of the admonition “Be not afraid, “ and “weep not.” It took me a long time to appreciate the importance of the first citation in S&H: “Christian scientific practice begins with Christ’s keynote of harmony, “Be not afraid!” Think of it, our practice of Christian Science has to begin with losing our fear. Before Jesus healed the man of palsy, he told him “be of good cheer.” Before he raised the dead son of a widow, he told her “weep not.”

A positive expectation is always necessary for Christian healing. Jesus was teaching people the unreality of sin, disease, and death, to trust in the one good God. Therefore, he was always admonishing his patients not to fear them, and not to weep over what is essentially a bad dream. Before he raised Lazarus, he thanked God. This shows the total trust he had in God.

The lesson for us is profound. I have to ask myself, how much do I trust God? If I fear disease or death, if I love or fear sin, if I fear evil, am I really trusting God? No, not really. Having a positive expectation in the face of disease or death or any other form of evil shows my trust in God and my receptivity to the truth that makes us free. If I am still weeping over a “bad” experience or if I am still fearing a “bad” situation, I am not trusting God. This positive expectation is a sign of one who is truly practicing Christian Science and not just talking about it.

Great lesson!

Florence
    Participant

Thanks for this post! When I learned that it is sinful to fear, and understood why, that did something for me. To be sinful was not okay, but somehow to be fearful was something I tolerated for so long. That understanding contributed to my effort to claim the Truth of God’s love more and to stay with it until fear went away to its nothingness.

chardelle

Thank you both! Since coming to Plainfield I have been working on fearful thinking. What Mrs. Eddy says in this Lesson has helped me to stay strong:
    5. 410 : 14-21
    Every trial of our faith in God makes us stronger. The more difficult seems the material condition to be overcome by Spirit, the stronger should be our faith and the purer our love. The Apostle John says: “There is no fear in Love, but perfect Love casteth out fear. . . . He that feareth is not made perfect in Love.” Here is a definite and inspired proclamation of Christian Science.

spencel
    Participant

Thank you for these posts.

“Christian scientific practice begins with Christ’s keynote of harmony, “Be not afraid!”

Keynote: (synonyms): substance, essence, heart, core, essential, central principle

I spent decades going to Christian Science churches not realizing how much my life was driven by fear nor did I really understand how to handle fear. I would read the words but could not put it into practice. One of the first things a practitioner here did for me was start chiseling away at this fear. Watching my thinking, being obedient to God’s precepts, being honest, letting go of the past, understanding true goodness and how to pray about evil were a few things that were required. I can see the more I practice this Science of Christ, correctly taught here, that the heart of all Mary Baker Eddy’s works are, “Be not afraid.” Anything else is not spiritual healing and does not destroy the fear permanently. I am grateful for all that we have in this church to help us grow in grace and understanding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.