Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Pray in Spirit

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chardelle

PSALM 51 : 10-15

10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

I have found that even if I don’t know exactly how to pray in spirit if I start with Psalm 51 I can’t go wrong. Also there is a hymn called Create In Me a Clean Heart, which is easy to hum. In John 4 Jesus told the Samaritan woman to pray in spirit and in truth. From things I have read this includes coming with a humble prayer of surrender and the right motive. Thank you Plainfield Church for all that I am learning.

parthens
    Participant

“Create in me a clean heart.”

HEART: “Mortal feelings, motives, affections, joys, and sorrows” (SH 587:23).

“The manifestation of God through mortals is as light passing through the window-pane. The light and the glass never mingle, but as matter, the glass is less opaque than the walls. The mortal mind through which Truth appears most vividly is that one which has lost much materiality — much error — in order to become a better transparency for Truth. Then, like a cloud melting into thin vapor, it no longer hides the sun” (SH 295:16).

Desideratum: Create in me cleaner, clearer transparency of heart as defined in Mrs. Eddy’s glossary: “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death” (Phil. 4:3); that I may suffer self to die in greater and greater ways. For to allow mortal self to express itself is to smudge or besmear the transparency that God created me to be.

Gary
    Participant

“For to allow mortal self to express itself is to smudge or besmear the transparency that God created me to be.”

As we realize that we are nothing more nor less than God expressing Himself, we can and will discipline our thought to listen carefully to what He is telling us, and then follow that “commandment.” There is nothing human in this way of life, for the highest expression of Love and Principle to our brethren is a divine impulsion, not human will. This is the discipline of thought that we all must work for if we are to worship God in spirit and in truth. This is where a good practitioner can help us, by spotting pride, or animosity, or “mere personal attachment” in our thought, all of which “smudge or besmear the transparency that God created me to be.”

Thank you for this post.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.