Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Prophet

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“PROPHET. A spiritual seer; disappearance of material sense before the conscious facts of spiritual Truth.” (S. & H.)

The Greek word translated “prophesying” or “prophecy” means to “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God.

Hebrew word nabi, from a root meaning “to bubble forth, as from a fountain,” hence “to utter.
    In the time of Samuel another word, ro’eh , “seer”, began to be used.

I read that it was primarily a gift of proclamation (“forth-telling”), not prediction (“fore-telling”) although Prophets are also called “seers,” because of their spiritual insight or their ability to “see” the future.

I always had a limited understanding of the job of a prophet, that of seeing the future as a special talent, but this lesson has opened my eyes to a fuller sense of the meaning. I now see it is the result of spiritual sense, purity, obedience to God’s counsel, humility and unselfed living. This allowed the prophets to communicate the deep things of God and warn against evil with clarity.

There is no personal sense, human will, opinion, domination, greed, selfishness fear involved although the prophets were often accused of this by those who did not want to hear their message which required a change in thinking and yielding to God.

I am grateful for the teaching here on the importance of cultivating spiritual sense since we are warned that the false prophets will deceive the very elect.

cthompson

Thanks. I appreciate the evolution of the the term “prophet” you provided. It is natural and normal for progressing students of Christian Science to reach the status of “prophet”. An earlier status is “soul-inspired”. Each student can immediately become soul-inspired. They can maintain this status through the same qualities required of a “prophet”. We should be able to recognize how and when we ” heard the voice of Truth, and talked with God as consciously as man talks with man.” (S&H: 308:14-15). If we cannot remember such events, it is an easy thing to start.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.