Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

purposed in his heart

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Substance – September 9th, 2018 purposed in his heart

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank:…” Daniel 1

Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary- Purpose:
    “That which a person sets before himself as an object to be reached or accomplished; the end or aim to which the view is directed in any plan, measure, or exertion; view; aim; design; intention; plan. To set forth; to bring forward.”

Pulpit Commentary
    “Daniel desired in his heart,” … meaning assigned to “heart” (can be) “mind.”

I am grateful to be learning here how to be obedient to God and watch my motives, both heart and mind.

Another part of our lesson reminds us to, “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth”to”Walk in the Spirit” and, “where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Both heart and mind.) I appreciate better the discipline and faith of Daniel and what a great love for God he had. It could have been very easy to go with the flow, not rock the boat, justify eating the king’s portion, fear standing out, pretend to go along, use it as an opportunity to have something that looked “good” and put God aside until a more opportune time. Another good reason to have a covenant with God to keep close to your heart and mind to face temptation.

I am sure that the First Commandment was very important to Daniel. He could have been tempted to give in rather than express temperance, “and drink from the intoxicating cup, of this world. To have partaken of such a feast would have been to sanction idolatry,” Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

spencel
    Participant

Thinking about Daniel gave me a deeper appreciation of our Daily Duties

“…pray each day: “Thy kingdom come;” let the reign of divine Truth, Life, and Love be established in me, and rule out of me all sin;…” Church Manual, Article VIII, Sect. 4

“…divine Love alone governs man; … The members of this Church should daily watch and pray to be delivered from all evil, from prophesying, judging, condemning, counseling, influencing or being influenced erroneously.”
    Church Manual, Article VIII, Sect. 1

” .. and not be made to forget nor to neglect his duty to God, to his Leader, and to mankind. …”
    Church Manual, Article VIII, Sect. 6

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.