Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Putting On New Clothes

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – February 10th, 2019 Putting On New Clothes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

A common thread in this week’s Bible lesson is the war between Spirit and flesh, i.e. Christ and antichrist.

“Wearing in part a human form (that is, as it seemed to mortal view), being conceived by a human mother, Jesus was the mediator between Spirit and the flesh, between Truth and error.” (SH 315.)

70 years after king Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon destroyed the temple at Jerusalem, Babylon fell and was now a subject of the Persian empire, ruled by the excellent Cyrus the Great, who decreed that the temple of God be rebuilt.
    This history prefigures what must be fulfilled in our day, this very moment: the liberation of Christianity – and Christian Science in particular – from antichrist captivity.

Joshua son of Jozadak was high priest of the Hebrews about to be released from captivity. Zechariah’s vision of Joshua features what we now know as the angel of Christian Science as revealed in the Apocalypse of John. Zechariah saw Joshua “standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him….Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.”

After the Prodigal’s return from his self-imposed captivity in a strange and far-off land, his “father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him.” (Luke 15:22, emphasis added.)

The two olive trees (or “witnesses”) in Zechariah’s vision also prefigure the two greatest adversaries of the antichrist in history: Jesus and Mrs. Eddy, understood impersonally. Of the antichrist, Mrs. Eddy warns: “If you stay here until you learn to handle animal magnetism, I will make healers of you. I had to do it and did it for forty years and I understood it all. Now it has gotten to the point where the students must take up this work and meet animal magnetism. I cannot do it for you, you must do it yourself, and unless it is done, the Cause will perish and we will go along another 1,900 years with the world sunk into the blackest night.”

God is clothed with light like a garment, and so must I, like Joshua the high priest, tarry before the holy angel until I know as I am known, transformed from glory to glory into image and likeness of God. (Psalm 104:2.)

In the Adam-dream version of the Creation story, Adam and Eve are given coats of animal skins, the result of their putting on the animality of the flesh, their refusal to be clothed in Spirit. (Genesis 3:21.)

“Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ [i.e., the ‘Robe of Science’], and make no provision for the desires of the flesh.” (Romans 13:14.)

“And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep….Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel [“descendant of Babylon”], saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.” (Zechariah 4:1, 6-7, emphasis added.)

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Beautiful post thank you very much:)

“The two olive trees (or “witnesses”) in Zechariah’s vision also prefigure the two greatest adversaries of the antichrist in history: Jesus and Mrs. Eddy, understood impersonally.” Explained in Zech. 4:11-14

Michael Pupko
    Participant

In reading this post once again this morning;”the liberation of Christianity – and Christian Science in particular – from antichrist captivity.” forced me to think how much more diligent I need to be not to stray from Mrs. Eddy’s pure Christian Science as taught here in Plainfield. The theme of the correct “clothes” and the correct “temple” brings to mind more from Zecharia:

Zech. 8:20 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; It shall yet come to pass, that there shall come people, and the inhabitants of many cities: 21 And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts: I will go also.
    22 Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the LORD.
    23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you both for these wonderful posts.

And those sobering words from Mrs. Eddy that “the students must take up this work and meet animal magnetism.” Can’t hear those words too often.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.