Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Quietness of heart.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Life — July 19th, 2020 Quietness of heart.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

This week I came across a note I made during a call with my Plainfield practitioner weeks ago. It was a reminder to have “quietness of heart”
    The Shunammite woman demonstrated quietness of heart in how she trusted Elisha and his relationship to God, “Behold now, I perceive that this is an holy man of God.” When her son was ill and after she laid him on Elisha’s bed she did not panic, rush about, drop down into a puddle or give up. She went forward. On her way to get help her answer was “it is well.” She waited outside while Elisha worked with God and the child. When her son was restored she expressed a deep gratitude, “she went in, and fell at his feet, and bowed herself to the ground, and took up her son, and went out.” I am sure this did not just magically happen but came with faith and the practice of Biblical principles and laws. She also recognized Elisha’s Godliness opening her heart and home to him. I am sure she had Scriptural promises close to her heart such as found in the Lesson this week.

“Love the Lord thy God, obey his voice, cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days.” Deut 30:20

Nothing in else in the world but a relationship with God can offer a quiet heart. I am grateful to be learning from my practitioner and the teachings here, how to align my life to the purpose God has for me which includes quietness of heart.

chardelle

Thank you for this post. Deuteronomy 30:20 talks about cleaving to God. I was directed also to Deuteronomy 10:20 ” Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God; Him shalt thou serve, and to Him shalt thou cleave, and swear by His name.”
    One of the meanings for cleave is to actually be bonded as with an adhesive. The Shunammite woman in her quietness of heart also showed determination. She said to Elisha, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and
    followed her.” Thus this beautiful story ends with the child being healed and returned to his mother.
    It is a comfort to know that when sticking to God, with God all things are made possible.

spencel
    Participant

How can I not be quieted with all that God is.
    “Thy mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens;
    …thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
    Thy righteousness is like the great mountains;
    thy judgments are a great deep:
    …thou preservest man and beast.
    How excellent is thy lovingkindness,
    …men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
    They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house;
    …thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
    For with thee is the fountain of life:
    in thy light shall we see light.”
    Psalm 36 : 5-9

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.