Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

reflection vs artistic temperament

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Adam and Fallen Man – November 11th, 2018 reflection vs artistic temperament

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bruce
    Participant

I was impressed with the passages in Science and Health on reflection, like “Man is, and forever has been, God’s reflection” and “he reflects the creation of Mind, God”. It is so true that man is not an originator, not an originator of thoughts, nor an independent creator of anything, and the pride that would like to make the claim that he is leads to many problems, but the humble honesty that acknowledges the divine source of all that is good is safe ground. Error’s label of artistic temperament is very pernicious, subjecting one to extremes of emotions, even anger, and also makes it impossible to work with others. Whereas the humble submission to God’s guidance enables one to unite easily with others that do the same. I am very thankful for Christian Science that clarifies all of this.

Espaid
    Participant

Thank you. There are many citations on reflection in the lesson this week, and coincidentally, I have been reading Martha Wilcox’s The Word Made Flesh. In this address, she includes a section titled “The Function of Man Is Reflection,” which is also helpful to understand what reflection means.

“Man, as the idea of Mind, receives all that he is from the Mind that constitutes him, and gives back to that Mind the facts of Mind’s own being. A reflection always does two things: it receives and it gives back what it receives. In this way, reflection establishes the divine Mind to itself as a great fact or entity. Just as, humanly, your idea of yourself gives back to you the fact or your own being, and establishes you to yourself as an entity.

If we could only remember that “I can of mine own self do nothing,” then we could better understand that we are a living conscious reflection. We should know the tremendous importance of our function and our divine purpose – that of being reflection.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.