Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Replenish the Earth"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – March 10th, 2019 "Replenish the Earth"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

The verb “to plenish”, no longer in use today, is derived from the Latin plenus: “full, filled, greatly crowded; stout, pregnant; abundant, abounding; complete”, from which words like “plenty”, “plentiful”, “plenitude”, and “replenish” are derived.

Any assembly with full attendance, such as the UN General Assembly, is called a plenum. A plenary school assembly denotes full attendance of all students and faculty.

Christ was brought to earth by a remnant of followers of God who were so fully present with God that God was with them — along with all the hosts of heaven in plenary attendance. In one accord with Allness, this remnant was able to replenish a Christ-depleted earth drowning in materialism; by a new and living Way, they ushered in the Christ, and so began the Christian era.

In Genesis 1:28, replenishment is not simply filling up depleted space and stopping there, but is an energetic, ever-happening endeavor, bestowing blessings upon earth that are constantly begetting more, each one increasing in blessedness (think of Mrs. Eddy publishing the CS Monitor with greater energy than that of a girl seventy earth-years younger than she). In other words, replenishing the earth is God’s omni-activity operating through lives dedicated to Him in full, uninterrupted surrender.

Replenishment is what Jesus meant by “life, and life more abundantly,” and which he demonstrated by healing great multitudes of people in an afternoon, the multiplication of the loaves and fishes, etc. This is also how God blessed His creation on the seventh day, not calling it merely “good,” as on previous days, but “very good,” heavenly good that is bristling with activity, constantly replenishing those that are replenishing the earth with it.

Replenishing the earth is my assignment. “God rests in action.” (SH 519:25.) Therefore, God grant that I may enter into His rest, to manifest the light of His Day every moment of my life, and,
    like a wise virgin, replenish a light-famished world by seeing it filled to overflowing with the radiance of the Christ.

Seeing the world right-side up turns its evils upside-down, so that every space, every corner that darkness once claimed as exclusively its own is refreshed, restored, renewed — replenished — with the light of “eternal noon, unmarked by a setting sun.” (SH, first edition, p. 212.)

Espaid
    Participant

So beautifully said. Thank you for this post!

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Thank you for this lesson on “to plenish.” It is amazing how understanding a word can so enhance the meaning of a concept. Long ago I researched dominion; sovereignty, control, protectorate; (beautiful when under God as I’ve always taken it to be in Gen. 1!) and dominate which tends to usually be human control.

I never really took note here of “replenish” which tied to “dominion” shows we should replace if not have more in the end than what we used!! This gives me such a better goal than simply ‘waste not’ and ‘recycle!’

In last Sunday’s Roundtable I noticed something I’d missed in the past that in’the multiplication of the loaves and fishes’ Christ Jesus points out that in one instance there were “twelve” extra baskets of bread and in the other instance “seven.” No accident and points to completeness of God’s goodness:)

It makes me think of a pot of chili (or other food of our choice); the first day it tastes really good:) But for some reason (God) it seems to taste even better having the leftovers the next day!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.