Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Replenishing and subduing the earth

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Adam and Fallen Man – May 6th, 2018 Replenishing and subduing the earth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

4. Genesis 1
    28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

During the Roundtable this past weekend (April 29th, 2018), Mrs. Singleterry quoted Bicknell Young:
    “Earth is our mortal concept of heaven. Heaven is our real awareness of the earth; in other words, HEAVEN IS THE EARTH CORRECTLY UNDERSTOOD.”

In the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary, the definition of “subdue” includes this statement:
    Subduing implies conquest or vanquishing, but it implies also more permanence of subjection to the conquering power, than either of these words.

All this has been giving me the understanding that I must work daily to replenish the right sense of earth – the spiritual sense of it – and subdue the wrong sense of earth – the material sense – within myself. Only through that constant work can I hope to achieve a “permanence of subjection” leading me to the dominion mentioned in the second part of the sentence, which also takes on a new meaning with the correct, spiritual understanding of earth as heaven. No longer is my story “Man vs. Nature” or “Man vs. Man” but simply Truth versus error, and real versus unreal, and I the beneficiary of God’s wonderful and beautiful and logical creation.

I am very grateful to this church for teaching freely this useful and practical Science. Thank you!

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you Jeremy for this very thoughtful and helpful post.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.