Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Righteousness of God – From Faith to Faith

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Reality — September 26th, 2021 Righteousness of God – From Faith to Faith

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kerry
    Participant

In digging into the higher meaning of the Responsive Readings citation from Romans 1: 17 – “For herein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith:” the following is provided from “Some Precious Memories of Mary Baker Eddy,” by Calvin S. Hill from the original We Knew Mary Baker Eddy series. This explains for me what occurred when Elisha prayed that the eyes of his servant be opened “that he may see.” Elisha’s great faith raised up the lesser faith of his servant. It happened then, it happened continually with Mrs. Eddy and her students and it happens today.

“The insight into Mrs. Eddy’s problems as Founder and Leader of the Christian Science movement, and her way of solving these problems as it was shown to me in her explanation of “Signs of the Heart,” touched me deeply. As she continued talking of ever-present Love, my thought was lifted into the upper chamber of Spirit’s reality and allness through the door of spiritual illumination—understanding.”

“As I left Pleasant View to return to the depot, after this memorable and uplifting experience, I felt as if I were walking on air. Nothing seemed real except the truth which Mrs. Eddy had affirmed and which was inscribed on the disc of my consciousness. People were passing in different directions, both on foot and in carriages, but I was scarcely aware of them—they seemed to be moving in a mist.

I boarded the train for Boston, and as I rode along, my thought was completely occupied with the great illumination of the reality of Spirit and the nothingness of matter. I felt that I had been lifted to the mount of transfiguration. For a number of days, all I could think of, all I could hear, was what Mrs. Eddy had said to me in answer to my question, and the spiritual light which I received during that interview remained with me in all its glory.

From that time I was a different man; hence I feel warranted in saying that I experienced a measure of spiritual “new birth” on that wonderful day. However, later had to learn that being lifted up by another, even by our Leader, is not working out one’s own salvation—which is to say that there is no vicarious atonement. I saw that I had to work my own way up the hill of Science, that I had to prove in my own experience the truth she had affirmed to me—I had to work it out in demonstration.”

JC-min
    Participant

Kerry, After reading your post, and after pondering it, I was taken to Hebrews 11, and discovered that it is a declaration of faith. Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.