Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Romans 8: 28

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

3. Romans 8: 28
    28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Some of my work involves using computer code to get certain things to happen. When an expected result doesn’t occur, I usually have to backtrack to see where the problem is. The verse reads as instructions, which makes sense as Christian Science is practical, and instructive is exactly how they were intended.

Breaking it into the individual parts:

all things work together for good – The expected result. If this isn’t occurring, then I need to check the next parts to see why.

to them that love God – If I start feeling that all things are not working together for good, then I need to realize that I am not loving God correctly. That love must be shown in obedience, gratitude, joy, and adherence to what I am learning here. I must feel it for God, myself, my neighbor, everyone, everywhere. In Christian Science, love is much more active than I previously thought it was.

to them who are the called according to his purpose. – If I feel I am loving God, then I have to see if it is His purpose that directs me. If I have conditions that must be met before I devote my time and energy to God, then that certainly can’t be called unselfed love. Mrs. Eddy wrote on page 206 of Science and Health, “whatever blesses one blesses all.” I take that to also mean the opposite, which is ‘if it doesn’t bless all, then it isn’t blessing me.’ Only God’s purpose blesses all.

After these self-checks – and any calibration that is needed, such as prayer and calling the practitioner – that verse will once again ring true.

Then comes my favorite part, the first four words which I only noticed today: And we know that… Paul saw that everyone naturally understands God’s goodness. We know it! Thank God for how Christian Science shows us how to uncover the error and mesmerism that would tell us we don’t know it.

I am very grateful how much more meaning is revealed in these verses the longer I am a member of this church. Thank you for this lesson!

BarbaraW
    Participant

What a thoughtful expansion on this verse. Thanks so much.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.