Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Roundtable & The “Significance of Sunday”

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board Roundtable & The “Significance of Sunday”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kerry
    Participant

During this Sunday’s Roundtable there was the sharing of a humorous article called “The Devil’s Beatitudes.” The first of the devil’s beatitudes told how the devil was pleased not to have people attend church. After laughing, I decided this was the opening to share something I read yesterday and now treasure – a conversation between William R. Rathvon and Mrs. Eddy (from the book, “We Knew Mary Baker Eddy,” recollections of William R. Rathvon, dated December 13, 1908).

W.R.R. asked, “How can I best improve Sunday?” Answer: “By realizing your spiritual identity.” She then asked all of us, “What is the scientific signification of Sunday?” Various answers were given, none of which were wholly satisfactory. She then said, “Just what it says, a day of Light and Truth and Love, the day of Soul governing man. Is man spiritual? He is, then let Soul alone govern him.” Called back. “When you leave me, I often think of more because I am then nearer to God. I opened Science and Health this morning at 260, line 7.” (She read this passage impressively without glasses.)
    W.R.R.: “How can I best serve you this day, Mother?” Answer: “By best serving God.”

Izzy_S
    Participant

Thank you for this, I have read WKMBE but did not remember this conversation, but what an insight it gives!
    This has been a great inspiration to make Sundays more as they should be from now on.

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you so much for sharing what you did from the Roundtable; and adding that wonderful exchange between William R. Rathvon and Mrs. Eddy. It made me go to my copy of We Knew Mary Baker Eddy Third Series, to re-read Joseph Mann’s first healing in Christian Science — it is found in “Some Precious Memories of Mary Baker Eddy” by Calvin C. Hill (pp. 28-37). It is so inspiring, telling of his being accidentally shot in the heart (the doctors concluded that “from excessive bleeding, both internally and externally, and the peculiar color of the blood, the ball had touched the heart, and was probably lodged in the pericardium.” (This occurred in November 1886.) He was given up by four doctors (eminent physicians, including a skillful surgeon), and was at the point of death, when Christian Science was admitted; within 15 minutes his body began to warm, his breath returned, and he became conscious. He later sat up in bed to eat; the second day he was up and dressed, and the third day up bright and early as if nothing had happened.

If this can happen to one of God’s children, is not this possible for all? This inspired me so much many years ago that I have always wanted to live Christian Science and share it with others. Thank God for this Independent church, which is teaching Mrs. Eddy’s pure Christian Science, and sharing it with the world.

Kerry
    Participant

Here is more on the significance of the Sabbath (this time by Henry Ward Beecher), with a new perspective on what is required of us during the week. (Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887) was a Congregationalist clergyman. He is quoted in a June 20, 1901 Sentinel article.)

“Henry Ward Beecher once said: “A week filled up with selfishness and a Sabbath stuffed full of religious exercises will make a good Pharisee but a poor Christian. There are many persons who think Sunday is a sponge with which to wipe out the sins of the week. Now God’s altar stands from Sunday to Sunday, and the seventh day is no more for religion than any other. It is for rest. The whole seven are for religion and one of them for rest.””

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.