Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Scriptural record

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“The corporeal senses declare otherwise; and if we give the same heed to the history of error as to the records of truth, the Scriptural record of sin and death favors the false conclusion of the material senses.”

Today during our Bible Study a point was made regarding the relevance of the Old Testament (OT). Like the above quote mentions I mostly could only see, “the Scriptural record of sin and death” and found it difficult to make the OT relevant to my daily life. I found it easier to read the New Testament. This discussion reminded me how grateful I am for our Plainfield Bible Studies which have made the OT come to life, unfolding biblical principles, lessons, and practical precepts to live by. It has given me a greater understanding and appreciation of the New Testament and changing my life for the good.

As I thought some more on this idea of the relevance of the OT it occurred to me that Mrs. Eddy makes many references to the OT. She writes of Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Elijah, Daniel, David, Esther, Job, Joshua, just to name a few examples. She also quotes OT scriptures and the 91st psalm was to important to her. As far as I know she never tells us to just read the NT.

I recently came across an article on the relevance of the OT on a Christian website. It brought out many important points. The most meaningful to me was that Jesus and the apostles made continual reference to the OT, the Holy Scriptures. It was the word they were taught and knew. The some of the most important prophesies are found in OT.

“The terms Old Testament and New Testament are found in a few places in some Bible translations, but the word translated ‘testament’ is actually the word for ‘covenant.’ Those scriptures simply talk about the old and new covenants-not about books of the Bible.” from The Old Testament in the New Testament by Scott Ashley

Paul writes in 2 Timothy, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” Paul started this chapter warning Timothy about temptations to come. That some Christians would be swept away by these perilous times and we are to stand strong and stay on the Word of God.

I am also very grateful to our lesson writers who glean out the messages and stories from the OT.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this post. I love thinking of the Old and New Testament as the Old and New Covenant.

Ashley also went on to state: “If you had been around to ask the apostles John, Peter or Paul about the “Old Testament” or the “New Testament,” they would have had no idea what you meant. The terms Old Testament and New Testament were coined by men long after the books of the Bible were written.” Something to keep in mind, that the Bible is a complete whole.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.